Church of “Saint Thekla” (Hagia Thekla), Euboea, Greece
23rd Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities - Greek Ministry of Culture (Study Assignment)
Church plan (Proposal)
Church elevation (Proposal)
Church section (Proposal)
Photo Source: A. Bendermacher-Geroussis in the framework of the Design of the 23rd EBA of the Ministry of Culture
Monument Architectural and Restoration Survey
Emilio Bendermacher - Geroussis (Architect Engineer), Stavros Papazoglou (Architect Engineer), Michalis Sioulas (Architect Engineer)
Saint Thekla (Hagia Thekla) is located in central Euboea, in the namesake village of Saint Thekla of the Municipality of Avlonari. The church is in a short distance from the centre of the settlement, in a green ravine with huge plane trees. The monument dates back to 1296 to 1311 and is dedicated to the memory of the martyr Saint Thekla, a dedicated student of Paul the Apostle according to the apocrypha. It is a small cruciform cemetery church with a conch of the sanctuary that is semi-circular in the ground plan and unusually large for its overall size. Three layers of frescoes dating from the late 13th to the mid-14th century are preserved in the church.
The primary objective of the Study is the Restoration and Maintenance of the church to make it visitable and allow its function as a religious site, ensuring both the safety of visitors, scholars and the faithful, as well as to secure the church against possible damage. Works are proposed to address both building and construction problems, with interventions that are as reversible as possible to avoid the loss of important historical evidence. It is particularly important to maintain and secure the mural decoration and to reveal any frescoes that are not visible at present, as well as the reconstruction and upgrading of the surroundings of the church in order to highlight it.