Monastery of the “Assumption of Virgin Mary” (Koimisis tis Theotokou), Kernitsa, Vytina, Greece
Metropolis of Gortynia and Megalopolis - Monastery of Assumption of Mary (Koimisis tis Theotokou) Kernitsa (Vytina) P. Arkadia (Work contract for the Study “Fastening and Restoration of the Monastery”)
General plan of the Monastery (Proposal)
Monument Architectural and Restoration Survey
Ifigenia Dimitriou (Architect Engineer), Emilio Bendermacher - Geroussis (Architect Engineer), Fotini Chalvantzi (Architect Engineer), Asimina Grigoriou (Archaeologist), Panagiotis Petropoulos (Surveying Engineer), Nikolaos Zarkadoulas (Surveying Engineer), Nikolaos Charkiolakis (Architect Engineer), Theodoros Kantzos (Civil Engineer)
The Monastery of Kernitsa is located near the village of Vytina in Arkadia in a beautiful mountainous natural environment (840 meters above sea level). It was built in the 14th cent. (1386) and is dedicated to the Assumption of The Virgin Mary (Koimisis Theotokou). The Monastery played an important role in the Greek War of Independence. In the years of the Ottoman occupation it is believed to have served as a hidden school and a shelter for those in need. Since 1940 the Monastery has functioned as a convent. A Documentation and Restoration Study of the monastic complex was carried out by a multidisciplinary working group, as well as an interior and exterior arrangement design Proposal (removal of incompatible additions, improvement of the monastery’s functions) aimed at highlighting the monument.