Blessed Virgin Mary the Catholic (Panagia Katholiki) Church, Gastouni, Elis, Greece
Ephorate of Antiquities of Achaia - Ministry of Culture (Study Assignment). The project “Completion of Fastening and Restoration of the Blessed Virgin Mary the Catholic (Panagia Katholiki) Church in Gastouni of Elis” was carried out within the framework of the NSRF “Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship” 2007-2013
Photo Source: Form of the Ephorate of Antiquities of Achaia of the Ministry of Culture, “Completion of Fastening and Restoration of the Panagia Katholiki Church in Gastouni of Elis”, Patras 2015
Section A (Proposal)
Section B (Proposal)
General plan (Proposal)
Landscaping Study for Monument Surroundings
Ifigenia Dimitriou (Architect Engineer), Emilio Bendermacher-Geroussis (Architect Engineer), Anastasia Koumoussi (Archaeologist), Maria Mageirou (Mechanical Engineer)
The Byzantine church of Blessed Virgin Mary the Catholic (Panagia Katholiki) is situated on the southwest edge of Gastouni. In the architectural style of a double-columned, inscribed cruciform church, it has an eight-sided dome, a cross-vaulted narthex and a three-sided apse.
The church was erected in 1278-1279, a period in which the region was under Frankish rule. The church building suffered severe damage in the 2008 earthquake and was deemed dangerous and unsuitable for use. Restoration works and extensive excavations in the exterior and interior of the monument revealed new data that clarify and complement its history.
The Restoration Study included a Landscaping design for the monument’s Surroundings. This entailed the beautification of the priest’s contemporary residence, landscaping works for the surroundings (flooring, construction of rainwater drainage channels), urban furniture (construction of stone benches with wooden seats), spotlights and planting.
After the completion of the aforementioned works, Blessed Virgin Mary the Catholic (Panagia Katholiki) of Gastouni was handed over to the public for worship. As of now, it is integrated into the cultural life of the city as well as the wider region as a hub for the history of Medieval Elis.